2016 Ministry Partner Support: $1,500
Welcome seeks to provide a faithful response to poverty and to improve the quality of life for individuals in our community through hospitality; the arts; education; food; and referrals.
Welcome was created by twelve churches / faith-based organizations: Old First Presbyterian Church; Temenos Catholic Worker; First Congregational Church, First Church of Christ, Scientist; First Unitarian Universalist Church; the Faithful Fools street ministry; Her Church (Ebenezer Lutheran); St. Francis Lutheran; Christ Church Lutheran; Sts. Mary and Martha Lutheran; First United Lutheran; and St. Luke’s Episcopal Church. Together, members of welcome have developed a multi-faceted response to poverty in our neighborhood, based on the following principles:
- All people, regardless of their economic condition or residential status, are children of God and equally deserving of respect, friendship, compassion and care;
- God commands us to love our neighbors as we love ourselves. Our neighbors include residents, merchants, other religious communities and homeless people in our neighborhood;
- We are called to seek harmony among all neighbors as well as dignity for all;
- It is our Christian responsibility to help the poor and those most in need, which include our homeless neighbors;
- It is our Christian responsibility to open the doors of our church to all God’s people and enthusiastically embrace all seekers, regardless of socioeconomic status.
For more information, visit their website: